The New York Paint, Oil and Varnish Club was formed after several meetings of well-known members of the coatings industry. On February 26, 1887, at a dinner held at Delmonico’s downtown establishment, The New York Paint, Oil and Varnish Club became an official entity. Present at the time were representatives from all the prominent firms in the allied trades.
The Organization Committee consisted of R.P. Rowe, secretary of the Brooklyn White Lead Company; J. Seaver Page of F.W. Devoe & Company; and M. Sondheim of Sondheim, Alsberg & Company. General E.L. Moulineux of C.T. Raynolds & Company was elected president, and W.B. Templeton of the Oil, Paint and Drug Reporter, secretary and treasurer, the Organization Committee being elected as an Executive Committee. President John D. Morton, Vice President W.H. Drury, Treasurer E.H. Nash and Secretary William Aggee were on hand during the event representing the Paint, Oil and Varnish Club of New England.
In 1933, the two national associations at the time (the National Paint, Oil and Varnish Association, Inc. and the American Paint and Varnish Manufacturers’ Association, Inc.) merged to become the National Paint, Varnish and Lacquer Association, Inc., which would function as one organization representing all branches of the industry. At that time the New York Paint, Oil and Varnish Club became the New York Paint, Varnish and Lacquer Association.
On August 9, 1955, the New York Paint, Varnish and Lacquer Association was incorporated under the laws of the State of New York.
On August 22, 1972, the New York Paint, Varnish and Lacquer Association requested a name change to become NEW YORK PAINT AND COATINGS ASSOCIATION, INC.
On July 1, 1987, the NEW YORK PAINT AND COATINGS ASSOCIATION, INC requested a name change to become METROPOLITAN NEW YORK PAINT AND COATINGS ASSOCIATION, INC.
On April 1st, 2011, after merging with the New York Society for Coatings Technology the METROPOLITAN NEW YORK PAINT AND COATINGS ASSOCIATION, INC. changed its name to the METROPOLITAN NEW YORK COATINGS ASSOCIATION, INC. (MNYCA). This merger served to grow our membership and created a technical component to our Organization which led to the first ever Eastern Coatings Show and Technical Conference in 2013.
From that first meeting in 1887 at Delmonico’s our Association has grown from an original membership of two-dozen companies to the present membership of nearly 100 companies. That growth and the longevity of our Association firmly demonstrate what can be accomplished by collective undertaking under the banner of cooperation.